Monday 23 April 2012

Consecrated as the bishop of csi- nandyal diocese on 29 th of may 2006
My Profile

I was born in Nandyal in Andhra Pradesh in 1947. My parents Papathoty Daniel and Sipporamma worked as Mission Teachers in the Nandyal Region. They migrated to Bellary in 1955 with the vision for educating the children and their future development.

I did my primary education in SPG Mission Primary School High School studies in St.John's High School and College studies in Veerasaiva College in Bellary and completed my B.SC degree. During this period I was actively involved in the Student Christian Movement and the CSI Youth Movement in Bellary, which gave me spiritual preparation to respond to the call of God for fulltime ministry in the CSI. During the same time the then Bishop of Mysore Diocese Rt.Rev.N.C.Sargent visited our home and called me to fulltime ministry in the then Mysore Diocese. After a period of one-year exposure in the rural church around Bellary district, I was accepted as the ministerial candidate and sent to United Theological College, Bangalore for Theological education. At UTC, Bangalore I was greatly influenced by my Principal, Rev.Dr.J.R.Chandran. During my theological education and ministerial formation I was privileged to develop critical thinking under the leadership of all our lecturers. After the theological education I was ordained in the Karnataka Central Diocese in June 1971 by the then Moderator P.Solomon.
While in ministry I pursued M.A. in Social and Political Sciences in Karnataka University, Dharwad. I did this study to intentionally develop knowledge and perspective in Socio-economic and Political Analysis of our society in order to be more effective in the Mission of the Church. I did Doctor of Ministry in Colombia Theological Seminary, Atlanta, USA. I attended UTC, Kingston Jamaica, and the Presbyterian Seminary, Cuba as a part of requirement for the Doctor Ministry Program. The Doctor of Ministry Program has deepened my perspective on Ministry and Mission.
For my Doctoral Thesis I made a comparative study of Black Theology with a new movement in the Caribbean called the Rastafarian Movement, which is an equivalent of the Dalit Movement in India. My thesis was on the relevance of Rastafarian Theology towards the development of a Caribbean Liberation Theology.
During my Doctor of Ministry I have also pursued in depth Theological reflections in relation to Pastoral Counseling. These studies are now helping me in my involvement with the Institute for Theological and Leadership Development. Before being consecrated as the Bishop in CSI-Nandyal Diocese I was the Regional Dean for the Cayman Islands in The New International University in the Caribbean's with its head office in Kingston, Jamaica. This work was very challenging and fulfilling, as I was involved in training theological leaders for the Church and the society.

No comments:

Post a Comment